A Ron Paul Information Index
Official Campaign Policies
This page contains information taken from Representative Ron Paul's official campaign site, found at www.ronpaul2008.com. Due to possible changes in the content of the campaign site, this information is dated when it was retrieved.
- Ron Paul believes in the existence of a plan by unnamed "powerful special interests" to create a "North American Union", "a single nation [made] out of Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, with a new unelected bureaucracy and money system". He does not state so directly but it is obvious that he disapproves of this.
- Ron Paul believes that the membership of the United States in international treaties and trade agreements like the United Nations, NAFTA, the WTO, and other similar organizations is "a threat to our independence as a nation", and that the United States should withdraw from all of these organizations.
- Ron Paul believes that "we must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country" and to "physically secure our borders and coastlines".
- Ron Paul believes that there should be "no amnesty" for the "10 to 20 million people [that] are in our country illegally", and that "immigration officials must track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law".
- Ron Paul believes that the United States should "end birthright citizenship" to make immigration less attractive. He has sponsored legislation to amend the Constitution to change the requirements for United States citizenship; see the Sponsored Legislation page for details.
- Ron Paul wants to lower taxes and drastically reduce government spending.
- Ron Paul believes that the Federal Reserve "fosters runaway debt by increasing the money supply", and is "a private bank run by unelected officials who are not required to be open or accountable to 'we the people.'" For the Federal Reserve's views on the subject, see here.
- Ron Paul is a supporter of "alternative medicine" and has sponsored legislation accordingly.
- Ron Paul believes that the FDA has too much power, and that the FDA is under the sway of international organizations like the United Nations who want to prevent United States citizens from having access to "alternative medicine", "nutritional supplements", and the like.
- Ron Paul is apparently an opponent of genetically modified foods, although this is stated indirectly.
- Ron Paul opposes mandatory vaccinations, even in the case of national emergencies such as smallpox outbreaks.
- Ron Paul does not state a policy regarding national health insurance.
- Ron Paul is a strong supporter of home schooling and has sponsored legislation accordingly.
- Ron Paul says he will veto any legislation which would create educational standards for home school students or parents.
- Ron Paul says he is committed to making sure that high school diplomas earned through home schooling are treated the same as other high school diplomas.
- Ron Paul does not state any policies on his web site regarding the nation's public schools, or any education issues other than those relating to home schooling.
- Ron Paul is very strongly pro-life, both his profession (ObGyn) and in his politics.
- Ron Paul has authored legislation which "defines life as beginning at conception"; see HR1094 (2007) on the Supported Legislation page for details.
- Ron Paul has sponsored legislation which would remove from federal courts their ability to pass rulings on a wide variety of state legislation, including that relating to abortion; see HR300 (2007) on the Supported Legislation page for details.
- Ron Paul has authored legislation "which prevents federal funds to be used for so-called 'population control.'" It is unclear exactly what "population control" means either here or in the actual legislation; one possible interpretation is that it would also cover using federal funds for contraception. See HR1095 (2007) on the Supported Legislation page for details.
- Ron Paul opposes the "Real ID" Act, which he describes as establishing "national ID card". Further details on the act, including the actual text of the legislation, can be found here.
- Ron Paul supports enhanced medical and economic privacy.
- Ron Paul is a strong opponent of the Patriot Act.
- Ron Paul is a strong opponent of the use of "eminent domain".
- Ron Paul opposes the creation of a "NAFTA Superhighway" linking Mexico and Canada. For information on the Trans-Texas Corridor, see here.
- Ron Paul believes that the people who have paid into the Social Security system deserve to receive their payments out in return.
- Ron Paul wants to get rid of taxes on Social Security benefits, prevent illegal aliens from receiving benefits, and prevent money in the Social Security system from being used for other purposes. He has sponsored legislation accordingly.
- Ron Paul opposes gun control on the basis of the Second Amendment.
- Ron Paul has introduced many pieces of legislation meant to repeal firearm control laws.
- Ron Paul supports letting pilots and law enforcement agents carry firearms on planes, and has sponsored legislation accordingly.
- Ron Paul believes that the United Nations threatens the ability of United States citizens to own firearms, and therefore the United States should leave the UN, and has sponsored legislation accordingly.
- Ron Paul opposes the war in Iraq as part of a larger opposition to foreign military intervention, either unilaterally or under the auspice of the UN.
- Ron Paul opposes all forms of foreign military aid as well.
- Ron Paul does not consider himself an isolationist, as he believes in "open trade, travel, communication, and diplomacy with other nations".
back to top
last updated 10/04/07